In the early 1980’s the Museum was just one small exhibition room. In 1985 the Technion vacated the building, and in 1987 MadaTech was officially recognized by the government.
The Historical Building of the Technion
On April 12, 1912 a big celebration took place in Hadar neighborhood in Haifa: On a land bought from Arabs and Germans from the Templar Colony, A ceremony took place. The Cornerstone of the Technikum (later to be known as Technion) - a new technological education institute, had been placed.
The ceremony brought Paul Nathan’s vision to life. Nathan was the founder of the help for German Jews Company or in short (Hebrew): “Ezra”. Because in many places in east Europe Jews were not able to learn technical professions, Paul had a vision of founding an institute that would train Jewish workers in technological subjects at Haifa, leading to an improvement for the Jews in Israel - living in the Ottoman Empire, which was behind in things that had to do with technology. Also, there was a hope to bring more Jews to the holy land.
The building was designed by the famed architect Alexander Bervald, a German Jew who moved to Israel in order to take part in the project. Dr. Shmaryahu Levin was the local building manager, representing the company headquarters in Berlin.
Despite the many difficulties raised by the Turkish authorities, the small budget, arguments between the Jewish and Arab workers and technical complications - In spring 1913 construction work of the main building was almost complete and the goal was to accept students a year later.
The major difficulty that stood in the way of opening the Technikum and the nearby high school was the debate on the language used in the institute - later became known as “War of the Languages”. Paul Nathan decided that the language used the these institutes will be German, which caused furious reactions from all over the Jewish settlements around the country, also causing Dr. Shmaryahu Levin’s resignation. These protests led to a suspension of construction work, but not for long - “Ezra” company gave in and announced the teaching language will be Hebrew.
Dr. Haim Weizmann, of the Jewish agency took the missions of fund raising, rehabilitating the buildings, and convincing the British to give up their control over the place. The process took five years, equipment was bought, teachers were recruited and the curriculum was established
The name “Technion” was cosen by the poet Chaim Nachman Bialik.
Preserving the history - this is a classroom which remains exactly as it was in nineteen twenty four, which we are still using today for lectures and demonstrations.
During the construction of the Technion, founders built an underground cistern – a waterproof well used to accumulate and store rain water.
Two under-ground rooms were built under the Workshop were turned into a cache, hiding out weapons and weapons training